02-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #42
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
It's really up to the individual, but IMO it's good to take a break every now and again. I've heard as often as every 6 weeks and I've heard whenever you think you've hit a plateau. Thats why I change up my routine constantly and break when I'm just feeling off that week. Just use your best discretion. It's good that you're interested in learning. It's amazing how you learn just from paying attention to your own body, as well as watching others at the gym and reading stuff. You eventually sort through the bs and find what works for you.
I should probably have mentioned that once a month or so I end up taking 4 days off in a row, usually due to traveling out of state and not having the opportunity. It usually benefits the body to recover slightly. I don't ever purposefully intend on taking the time off, it just seems to work that way. After 4 days my body wants to get going again though, so 7 days sounds rough.

I also completely agree with you about finding what works for you. It's been quite an experience finding what works and what doesn't, what I can and can't eat, etc. I've been just starting to hit a plateau and am learning new excercises to switch it up a bit. I remember a year ago when I would have hated all of this, but now I'm loving it.