View Single Post
      04-15-2024, 04:42 PM   #10
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbb View Post
The short answer has already been covered... a Porsche, and especially a GT4, will retain a much higher resale value compared to any M3/M4 you get outside of perhaps a CSL.

The longer answer is going to be completely up to your personal wants. If you plan on, or even think you might want to try something else out after a year or two, it wouldn't make sense for you to buy a brand new G8X because you're just going to get crushed in resale. You should look on the used market, find something near your "perfect" spec, and trust that the biggest depreciation hit has already occurred. The G8X is probably going to be the car you're actually going to use far more often. Why spend +$100K on a car that you're going to just drive on the occasional weekend? The GT4 is not going to be something you choose to daily or take on a long road trip, but the G8X will.

I have owned a few Porsches in the past. I have no regrets, because I think any car enthusiast should experience 911 (or Cayman) ownership at some point if they can afford it. The good news is that if you buy well you can drive it for awhile, then sell it for not too far off what you paid. I too have considered a GT4 many times. I keep going a different direction though because I start thinking about how little I'll actually drive it, and how I am sure that after a couple years of that I'll want to sell it for something I'll drive more often. If I'm going to spend +$100K on a vehicle, it has to be something I will use more than just a weekend toy. And as thrilling as the driving experience might be on a GT3, GT4 or even a GTS 4.0, I know it will be an occasion driver, not something I actually use with regularity.

But as others have said, as a direct answer to your question, the M3/M4 will drop significantly in value off of new when compared to the Porsches you're considering.
Agreed with this as BMW M cars will drop in value a lot more than a Porsche sports car.

Good luck getting a new allocation for a GT3 or Cayman GTS 4.0. May have to go used for a GT4, GTS 4.0.

Much easier to get an allocation for a new M3/M4 than a Porsche sports car.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas828.00