Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Is the prevailing theory that the M8 will go that exotic? I have to admit that I haven't been paying much attention to the conversation around the car, but I was not thinking it would have that sort of "look".

I mean, BMW has the i8, which has that supercar sort of look - why not just improve that platform for performance? Everything at the supercar level is going hybrid anyway...
That's what I don't understand. BMW has a platform there just ITCHING for a high performance version. It looks amazing, it's lightweight, and even in current form with bicycle tires it handles well. Imagine it with 520+hp (M version of the B48 2.0L I4 boosted to 350hp with 190hp electric motor from the upcoming i3s), real brakes, suspension by M, and a set of Pilot Sport 4S tires of appropriate width. Start it at $170k and they'd have a legit competitor to the 911 Turbo, NSX, R8, etc. It's the halo car they need but refuse to build, and they already have all the parts. But no, instead we get a 15-20hp LCI bump. That car is such a missed opportunity for BMW.
BMW's approach makes sense when you consider the target market for the i brand; and that excess is contrary to environmentalism.