View Single Post
      11-23-2018, 05:53 AM   #76
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Will it be innovative enough to excite me? Would be the biggest question.

Current generation M3/M4, is quite an exciting package (minus the steering and sound) especially considering the engineering effort in chassis (directly attached to rear subframe without rubber bushing) and drivetrain (CFRP driveshaft, although BMW killed it recently on MY18+.) In addition, despite turbo charging S55 engine also offers the best throttle response out of its segment due to lag free use of turbochargers and lightweight flywheel. M division in 2014 also has managed to shave off 20kg in reality from E92 despite longer wheelbase and larger dimensions; it is quite an engineering marvel.

On the other hand, I have yet to see G80 news that impresses me. Quite the opposite actually. Only news we hear about is horsepower and AWD for those who care too much about 0-60 and everyday driveability (minus driving skills). AWD doesn't remotely excite me, increased horsepower is easy gain with these turbos (talk to bm3 for possible gains with S55) and doesn't speak for excitement. Hell if it revved to 8,000+ rpm with curb weight of 1,400kg I will consider one. But AWD probably means the end of DCT, which is able to rev to 9,000 rpm, as opposed to ZFat's less than 7,400 rpm. I fear that next gen M3 is gonna be another wanna-be M5 with zero feel between gear changes. No news of innovative chassis, whether CFRP driveshaft will be retained is unknown. Recent development of ///Marketing speaks otherwise.

I also fear that with the increase lineups, M division will stop catering to the once unique 'M3 class' and simply make the M vehicles ranging from bloated (i.e. M8) or shrunken F90 M5 (i.e. M3).

I would love to be proven wrong though!
elvism284.50