Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceStormOf06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I doubt there will be an AWD + manual version. The complexity of the M-AWD system and control software probably relies a lot on having control of the transmission as well.

Developing the AWD system + manual for such a tiny percentage of sales wouldn't be worth it.
It has already been said that the higher HP versions W/ MT are not possible due to the higher HP and the fact that the current manual tranny cannot handle it.
It handles it just fine on tuned cars. It's a load of crap. Bean counters are in charge in Munich. I love how people say Dual clutch transmissions are dead. They're only dead at BMW. DCT (PDK) is alive and well at the last remaining German performance enthusiast brand. Porsche.

BMW is too busy making SUVs for soccer mommy's and Audis for everyone on here that wants AWD in their performance BMW. Sad!
Just because transmission aren't exploding as soon as a car is tuned doesn't mean "it handles the power fine."

A transmission is designed to withstand a certain amount of stress in order to be reliable under all conditions for some amount of miles.

Exceeding that stress reduces performance or increases the likelihood of failure. Period. Either BMW is willing to accept that increased risk of failure, or they will need to improve the design.

It's called a safety factor, and it's a basic tenant of engineering. You have no way of knowing what the design limits of this trans are or what it would take to handle the extra 46hp.
FYI. There are many people with both manual and DCT F80/82s with a shit ton of tuned miles on the odometer. Say 20,000+ tuned miles.

Would you consider that "some amount of miles"? Ya. I would

So it's safe to say that extra 46hp ain't doing shit.
I'd hope it would be projected to last at least 150k miles.
Appreciate 0