View Single Post
      04-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
how much more efficient is a 3 Series compared to a X3 these days? in city driving? if gas prices shoot up dramatically, won't people just go to BEVs? why bother filling up at all?
Higher fuel prices could accelerate EV adoption, but probably not by much. An EV is still appreciably more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle, and there is still no truly "budget EV" category - they all cost $30k and up. Furthermore, range anxiety is a powerful de-motivator, and it's not a wholly invalid concern.

Instead, in the event of a significant gas price hike, I would expect people to move to smaller, more efficient SUVs such as the X1 and X2 in BMW's case, including the X1 28e coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
not to rain on your parade but i think we'll be seeing the end of hybrids very soon, i'd give it another 5 years before manufactures drop hybrids completely from their line up and pivot to BEVs.

IMO hybrids are a transitional product inherently, they are a product full of compromises and are only meaningful to exist up till now because battery tech was expensive and prohibitive. I think it's quite clear now that's not the case anymore, so i'm thinking they'll be phased out very soon.
As I mention above, range anxiety is still very real. PHEVs address that concern.

If gas prices were to go up, PHEV sales, especially PHEV SUVs, would likely increase. BMW's current strategy is to have accommodations for ICE, PHEV and EV drivetrain in every new vehicle they introduce. This allows them to be prepared for whatever is ahead in the next decade.
Appreciate 0