Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Correct, Adaptive LEDS first showed up for 2016, which were tested by the IIHS and found to be inferior to the adaptive HID/Xenons available for 2016. However, what I was pointing out was that IIHS tested again with 2017 models and there was a category level improvement of the Adaptive LEDS' performance, so BMW must have made some sort of change to the adaptive LEDs as of 2017 to improve their performance. This doesn't mean that they were any better than the Adaptive Xenons, just that the performance of the Adaptive LEDs improved with the 2017 model year.
What you say is confusing. You said this in response to someone who was saying they liked their HIDs better:

Quote:
Check the actual IIHS tests on the headlights. If you look at the results on the 2016 3-series (the closest model year to your 2013), even the "upgraded" adaptive LEDs were pretty lousy - earning a "Marginal" rating.
Which seems to imply that you think their 2013 was similar to the 2016 adaptive LEDs. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding, but why would you try to contradict someone saying they prefer their HIDs over any adaptive LEDs, if you now are saying that the HIDs in fact might have been better.

Probably just a misunderstanding. The Adaptive HIDs are visually better for the F30. I'm sure they've figured things out by now for the G20 generation since there certainly are very good LED headlights in production with other cars now.
Appreciate 0