View Single Post
      06-16-2022, 10:46 AM   #136
NIB_
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C43, BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I can get where you are coming from. Back in the late 90s I had a Porsche 924s and it handled on rails but if you pushed too far it would swing on you like a prize fighter, serious snap oversteer but you had to be doing really dumb stuff.

A looser car is more fun on the day to day because you can make it step out without doing ludicrous stuff, but if I am on a mountain pass I would want the tighter car every time.

Luckily I am older now and understand mortality better so the 440i has more grip than I have balls.
Yeap, here's a few GIFs of me on a mountain pass in the C43 lol. Though this particular point was less precarious as there were no cliff drops at the sides unlike at other points further up.

With this type of driving I'm generally a bit more cautious/mindful at the limit with the M340i as it will have traction slip at some point, whereas the C43 sort of go-karts around like it's on rails. Obviously you can immediately correct oversteer in the M340i, however when you're this close to walls etc, the margins for error are extremely thin. Ultimately, it's much harder to break traction in the C43 in decent weather, but again, the differences will be subjective as to which people prefer.

interestingly there's this track comparison video of the two (touring not sedans like mine) which sort of highlights what I'm talking about to a much more extreme degree. You can see that the M340i is more unruly, the C43 more composed/progressive.

The M340i still comes out a fraction faster on the lap time (though it does have better tyres which may have made a difference), despite all the traction slip, and I think that deficit is made up by its speed advantage. Whilst 0-60/70 or so feels faster in the C43 due to the louder engine/exhaust sound and more aggressive shifts (gunfire shots on upshift), the M340i is actually a slight margin quicker (from my times around 0.2s quicker 0-60), and a similar if not greater difference beyond 60mph (1/4mile dig) in the higher rpm/speed bands. However, on an actual track, similar to in this video, I think they'll be extremely evenly matched due to the traction/handling differences.

https://youtu.be/9jS92VDe1Pg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
Well that's ironic.... perhaps Mercedes' F1 department should take notes from their road cars
I found it amusing for that exact reason too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
You're entitled to your own opinion bro! No need for the personal attacks. Glad I got such a rise out of you that you wasted 20 minutes typing some shit I didn't even read.

Enjoy both of your boats.
Thats fine since my post wasn't really for you anyway, but to better inform the folk who are interested in more genuine discourse and real impressions (not fanboy sensationalism). And don't worry, I absolutely adore both my boats. In my opinion they're among the best daily drivers you can buy today.

Last edited by NIB_; 06-16-2022 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0