08-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
This blows my mind that BMW would actually do an update to detune the car all the way down to the advertised horsepower at the crank (approx. 382). I get what you said about the earliest versions, etc, etc.....but with the 2nd update, it's literally detuned to advertised HP numbers??? I mean, the magic of BMW's turbo charged engines (literally back to the N54 in 2007) is that ALL of them have run over stock HP numbers from the factory.....some of which have run almost as much WHP as the stock factory crank horsepower. In fact, this has been why many of the "underpowered" BMW's have kept up with the competition with more HP. Take the "425 hp" F80 M3 when it came out several years ago. Why did it virtually match the 503 HP C63S in most drag races? Because that F80 was really putting out close to 480 HP.

Tune or no tune.....this definitely turns me off to the M340i if BMW is strangely putting it's foot down and producing cars that are purposely detuned to factory numbers. Is there a reason they decided to do this??
To make room for the M3 coming out in 2020.
Appreciate 0