View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
vitooo
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtw318 View Post
Hey, I am in the debate between the this or a 200 cell, but out of curiousity what makes or made you want to go catless?

Cheers
I originally went with the AA catted downpipe since I wanted all the upside (reputable brand, increased performance, sound (turbo spool and exhaust)) without the downside (smell, CEL). After running it for a couple hundred miles, I wanted more - a couple more hp, a couple louder burbles and pops from the exhaust and some whooshes from the turbo, and increased throttle response. Honestly, the AA catted downpipe did open up the car quite a bit, but not to the extent that I was hoping it would.

Other than that, I'm toying around with the idea of building the car and heard of cautionary tales about doing so with catted downpipes (i.e., plugging the cats). Although the GESI cat is allegedly suitable for 500-800hp applications, I don't want to risk plugging the cat and want the full power spectrum of the build if I go down this path.

I pulled trigger after experiencing a few catless cars with comparable mods to mine. Perhaps it was just my butt dyno, but each car was louder, quicker, had better throttle response, and all-in-all felt more engaging. I didn't find the smell or the CEL annoying.

I love that I went catless since it brought a bit more life to a great daily driver. It opened up the exhaust quite a bit without making it obnoxious and gave a few more hp based on my butt dyno. I can't smell the exhaust unless idling with my windows down at a light or in a parking structure. The smiles-per-gallon outweigh the negligible smell and tiny orange CEL for me.

That being said, if I was in your shoes, I'd go with a reputable brand that stands behind its product... (cough cough AA )
Appreciate 0