adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
You're clueless.

I can promise you that the new GR Yaris is twice as fun and capable as the e30 M3 ever was. Go test drive one next time you travel abroad and prepare to be stunned. The hype is real, whether you buy into it or not. I got a chance to test drive it (twice) on a recent trip to SE Asia.

It's the most underrated car of the century and there's a reason why it's sold out worldwide until 2023 at the earliest.

Since you clearly haven't driven one, you can't possibly know what it feels like. It is the only true homologation special worthy of praise since the e30 M3 debuted.

It's also the last mass produced car that comes only in a manual. That alone says it all.
If the person calling me clueless weren’t some internet loudmouth know it all, I’d feel really insulted.

I’d love to compare the E30 M3 with the 1986 Yaris GR. The only thing selling like hotcakes in 1986 were white Lamborghini Countach in Miami. So it took awhile for the E30 to establish itself as the king of touring cars, and for that to trickle into the showroom. Different times, and no instagram influencers or Internet forums to spread the good word. It took the PlayStation to get the Nissan GTR to worldwide attention but its eventual iconic status still required many hard won race wins.

BTW You cannot personally guarantee the future iconic status of the Yaris any more than you can guarantee next year's Christmas weather or the dollar-£ exchange rate. For a car to gain iconic status the way the E30 did, it has to stand the test of time. And so the Toyota will need to be evaluated 35 years hence.

Maybe it will stand, and maybe it won’t. I’m not biased against it, I’m just saying some more decades need to pass. Some races and championships need to be won. And yes, some people need to age alongside it and wax nostalgic about it on the 2055 version of Facebook.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0