View Single Post
      02-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashdm2 View Post
Thanks for the reply guys. It is interesting how some get it and not others. I would love to understand why!!!

Anybody else from the U.K. getting this issue please?
Oil consumption can have quite a wide range. As BMW state....

Quote:
Note:
For BMW petrol and diesel engines, a maximum oil consumption of 0.7 l/1000 km is permissible.
Several factors involved, how an engine is bedded in, how it is used, ambient temperatures, the oil itself for conditions of use. Plus the design may mean consumption will be variable.

Bedding in can be too 'soft', even keeping to the BMW recommended regime. Engines do need work, but not abuse, while breaking in. We had this issue in the UK with many diesel engines, particularly when the market moved to diesel. Many folks weren't used to as much torque, so ran their engines too easy and at low revs. Result, many would burn oil.

I've seen engines burn a drop of oil for several thousand miles, then virtually stop. Consumption then negligible through its life.

Helps us understand why BMW state 7,500km minimum, before they would measure consumption, due to the running in process and oil burning stabilisation.
Appreciate 0