03-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #1081
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by maragulon View Post
^E coupe will have E43 and E55 models
Later. There is an I6 model coming in a year or two which may very well wear the E55 name. Don't know about an E43 when the E400 is here already. No other model in the lineup is offered as both (in the US, which is where I refer to, to be clear).

In any case, it's still a weird situation right now, in the present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5against8 View Post
I wonder how much CLAR/35up helps BMW with this to reduce cost (and I don't know if MB/AMG has anything similar). Supposedly all G0X, G1X, G2X, G3X and F9X will have some sort of shared architecture, which might shift the break-even point down a bit for a given niche model.
Mercedes has something very similar: MRA. Although they separate the SUVs to a relative called MHA.

Quote:
Either way, BMW should position an M car to compete with the 911 imo. Either by moving the next base M4 slightly upmarket or with the "new M6". Or should i say "continue to position". The F82 did beat the base 991 in a C&D comparo, and this is the same C&D that's been increasingly harsh of F8Xs as of late.
But a sports car ought to sit within the Z family of products. Why cloud the message of the proper passenger car family with a dedicated performance car?

As I've related in the past, I doubt that the new 6 will genuinely be a sports car like a 911. We'll see what they cook up, but I strongly suspect a product targeted at a demographic closer to the personal luxury coupe market than a true driving enthusiast.
Appreciate 1