View Single Post
      12-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #139
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The E9X M3 actually started production in 2007, so both the E9X and F8X ///M will have had the same lifespan
Er, not quite. Technically you’re right that the E9x M3 production started in 2007, but it was very late. I can’t find a month, but my recollection is December. It may have been November. F8x on the other hand started in February 2014. So that means it will have about ten months longer for its run since the EOP months are going to be same as they were for the E9x. That’s close enough to round up to a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
It all depends if the S58 goes twin turbo...
I’d be pretty shocked if they don’t. Now, if they were go the route Mercedes did with their new 3L M256 I6 and use a single exhaust powered turbo with an “electric turbo” then I suspect it would sound more like a single turbo engine. However, I don’t necessarily think they are there yet. On the other hand, it would be a great way to combat turbo lag. Mercedes is reportedly debuting the AMG version of this engine in Detroit next month, and rumor has it that it will hit 500hp. So they will be matching the S55’s highest power output without water injection. Plus, the engine is very compact for an I6 (no belts). I’m sure BMW will eventually build something like it, but perhaps not yet.
Appreciate 0