Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
But that's the thing. US is not the priority it once was. Norway (where i live) have said no ice from 2025. GB and France are saying 2040, India 2030. China is along these dates as well. And Paris, London, Stuttgart and München are stating 2030 as a deadline for the ice. That's only a decade away. What Brand will invest alot in ice when these dates Keep getting closer. Besides, What US really «want» isn't really what drives the industry these days.
I’m not so sure - there’s no network here for the recharging of electric cars. And the country is HUGE. People are accustomed to being able to drive wherever they want, whenever they want. The current tech around electric doesn’t allow for that. I, for one, have no interest in an electric car...and that perception and reality is going to have to change on a macro level if the manufacturers want the US to pay attention.

Additionally, the vast network of gas stations has also taken a very long time to get built up - until there’s an alternative fuel choice that allows for the same sort of freedom of movement, you aren’t going to see widespread adoption here. We don’t have the public transportation options you see in Europe, and no one I know is riding a bicycle to work in Dallas.

PS - to put it in perspective, the US is roughly the same population as most of Europe put together. So when Norway says no ICE by whenever, it’s roughly the same thing as Minnesota or Indiana saying the same thing. That’s not a criticism, just an attempt at perspective.

I would also maintain that there are more Americans than Indians or Chinese folks who can afford a car...so while the symbolic gesture of some of these countries is very encouraging to the environmental cause, it’s not as impactful as if the US would take a similar position. And I really do think many in the US would be interested in more environmentally friendly approaches...just not at the expense of the freedom of movement to which we’ve become accustomed.

Last edited by dmboone25; 12-10-2017 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 1