Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSUV4Me View Post
What does everyone think of the Bridgestone Turanzas fitted as standard? For normal daily drives including freeways, bad highways, suburban doddling do you think they are great/good/bad/terrible??
Mine came with Pirelli P zero from the factory. They are pretty good. Wet weather grip is not as good as some Michelins I've had before in previous cars. I also think the Pirelli wears faster. One good thing with Bridgestone runflats is that they can be repaired when punctured. Pirellis are unrepairable and require a completely new tyre.
Pirelli RFT is unrepairable? Where did you get that from? So, not true. First hand experience right here.
I've had a long discussion about RFTs with the manager of a major tyre chain here in Australia (Bob Jane). It's what the tyre manufacturers recommend and they have to follow the rules accordingly to avoid legal liabilities. I'm sure RFTs can be safely repaired if not driven for long distance (or at all) whilst deflated, but here in downunderland, it's a bit of a nanny state when it comes to these things.

It may be possible to find some smaller tyre places that will repair them.
It's simply Pirelli doesn't recommend repair. Not that Pirelli tires are unrepairable. And the rationale Pirelli uses really should apply to all brands. If you drive on a run flat with zero pressure or near zero pressure for more than a few miles and at speeds even close to 50mph (80kph) you should consider replacement. The tire casing is put under extreme stress when driven on with zero pressure. Every tire manufacturer who permits a repair also claims the tire shop must inspect the tire before approving a repair. I, for one, wouldn't ever leave it to a tire shop to determine my safety.

Any run flat that has been driven on in a similar manner you'd drive on a go flat prior to repair (that means never let it go close to zero pressure and get it fixed quickly) is safe to repair. Of course in cases where the puncture is in a bad spot, near the shoulder, etc. Or if sidewall/casing is affected, it should be replaced. All brands!

And trust me the USA is plenty nanny too! The threat of frivolous lawsuits would scare many tire shops here to refuse repair, even of a brand that endorses a repair after inspection. Shops don't want the inspection liability, so they often just say no.