View Single Post
      02-28-2020, 03:09 PM   #39
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I would rather pay a lot less and put the difference into a personal account in case I need it for something. That way I can earn interest on my money and spend it on something else if I don't need care.

The issue with the US isn't the cost, it's people who are not smart enough to put away an emergency fund even though they know full well that emergencies can be expensive. If you don't know this by now you have had your head in the ground for way too long.
Until you get hit with a serious illness and no matter how much money you sock away, it isn't going to keep you out of financial ruin.

I felt the same way you did and thankfully I woke up and opted for the higher tier insurance coverage just before I got hit with cancer. I didn't have any of the risk factors which would indicate I would have any serious illness. No family history either. Had I not opted for the higher tier insurance when I had to get treatment...twice....I would be in a world of hurt financially. Would I have been able to survive it had I not paid for the extra coverage? Most probably. But that's because I had a job which I had flexibility in working and not be placed on disability. Plus my job paid well. I would venture to say the vast majority of people in this country don't have it as good as I have it.
Appreciate 2
///M///1861.00
Rmtt8206.00