View Single Post
      02-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #40
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
That can't be right. I get chemo injections almost monthly and I am in a pretty high tax bracket.

My ETR last year was around 18% and my total annual OOP medical costs typically run around $6k per year. I don't know anyone who has an ETR in America that is 30%. You either calculated that wrong or you have the worst accountant ever in world history.

I understand you are upset, but your numbers don't add up. Something isn't right here.
You are right. I made a mistake. On the phone so won’t go about retyping actual numbers but my point still was that I’d rather get medical taken out of taxes than having to worry about plans and crazy medical expenses every year. The charges that hospitals bill make no logical sense. The whole system doesn’t make sense. I didn’t think much of al this in my twenties when I was single and barely saw the doc but now I’m my 40’s, married with kids one starts to realize how crazy it really is. I have a employee backed plan and end up paying around $6500 per year for the kids and me. Can’t add my wife because my insurance won’t allow it since she has access to medical through her employer. So I all, off the top of my head we are paying around $9k in premium every year. Add the 4.5K deductible on top of that it’s more like $14k per year. With the toddlers we end up having multiple doc visits through the year and although we almost never meet the deductible we still end up close to 3-4K out of pocket.

I lived in the Netherlands for work for a bit and although taxes were higher we as a family never had to worry about medical and childcare. That’s a huge load off the head. But I guess to each their own. Personally I preferred that over the craziness here.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0