View Single Post
      12-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #1
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Device to eliminate daytime dimming issues due to tinting

To combat the issue of the instrument cluster and control screen constantly dimming out (due to window tint, shade, etc.), I made a prototype 'undimming' device to take on my holiday road trip last week. It worked beautifully to manually control the brightness of both screens during the day, and keep it constant regardless of sun/shade condition. It's wireless, runs on a small LiPo pack and charges via USB-C.

My next step will be refining the case design. I want to mount it further down, to the right of the actual dimming wheel. Then run the IR emitter up to the proper place in front of the sensor on a thin bendable lead. Also going to switch to softer buttons to eliminate the 'click' sound. Last will be optimizing power consumption to maximize the number of days/weeks you can go without plugging it in for a charge (been running for almost a week already without charging).

Here's a video of me quickly ramping the daytime brightness to maximum, then stepping it back down slowly (notice the delayed response, the car takes time to react to an IR change)...

https://youtu.be/RZpuUU5eFPM

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-08-2019 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
haruny96.50
mzdial114.50
bmw noob1397.50