View Single Post
      08-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
Is it possible to code the remote start option on a 3 series G20?
To have remote start as BMW intended the answer is no. There are workarounds as mentioned already, but involves more than just coding. And so far just US cars (I think)!

I think I'm also right in saying that in some markets the hardware is already installed just not activated by BMW, like in the US. Some states have it, some don't from what I've read. This may not be right. If it's wrong then might be possible at some point.

If we also need hardware, there are 2 reasons why it's difficult and I don't think it will ever be possible for UK cars.

1. It is illegal to run your engine unattended on a public road in the UK. There is no way BMW can guarantee this won't happen so they don't provide remote start or install hardware for EU cars.

2. Car Insurance. Insurers in the UK don't like people starting their cars and then leaving them. The small print on some policies says if you leave your car engine on unattended and the car was stolen, then policy is cancelled. And I think with digital relays being able to open cars, leaving a digital key card on the car which can start the car wouldn't be looked at well.

Land/Range Rover get around this by providing an auxiliary heater/cooler in the car which doesn't need the engine running at active. UK G20 doesn't have this.

It would be interesting to see if it possible but it isn't a Bimmercode job!