View Single Post
      02-04-2020, 03:43 PM   #415
DriftymcDriftFace
Rep
Drives: 330e, e36 compact drifter

Hi guys. Thought id post some more thoughts as i have used the car a little more. now. Firstly, the range estimate is a load of chuff. It does less when travelling in traffic and stop starting and then more on longer journeys at a steady speed. I focused on that too much and i find it better to look at the percentage charge. 8 degs fully charged at home showing 21miles i have managed to get 36.9 miles once on electric individual only (no heating on, fan or preconditioning or radio or anything that could zap the battery) and then the second time i did it (this Monday) i managed to get 42.2 miles on electric only (14.1kwh/100km). That was 7.5miles through villages at about 30 to 40mph and then straight onto the a303 at sparkford towards london. I stayed at 50mph both times on the A303 just to see how far i got and the range kept adjusting up and up as i travelled. As a company car driver that claims 14p per miles back thats a great saving. The charge cost me 1.86 at home and i will be paid £5.90 for those miles. I have also charged it at work on the same trip for free and then again tonight at Tesco extra for free (tesco extras all seem to have podpoints that are free to use and Travelodge are planning to follow suit i think) so out of my 500 miles round trip i will make a tidy bit of profit of maybe £15. The key to this and sorry for shouting is TO TRY AND KEEP THE POWER/REGEN GAUGE AT 0, ie you are not using electrical power nor are you regenerating so the car is just freewheeling. I reckon i could get more miles at 40mph as there would be less air resistance but i wont be driving that slow. It was embarrasing having lorries overtake me but i did it for us guys lol..

I have found too that putting the car in eco pro individual increases the MPG when the engine is running as it allows you to freewheel. In standard mode you regen battery power when off the throttle which is a less efficient way of covering distance. The new Porsche Taycan uses this method and the Tesla has the option too.

PS be careful if looking for `free` charging points as Ibis hotels claim its free but, if you download the app (chargemaster i think) there is a connection charge of £1.20 so you have to put your card details in. Then in the small print of the app it says that if you are plugged in for longer than 90 minutes you will be charged £10 per hour that you stay!! Tesco Extra Pod Points are free for up to 3 hrs so basically a full charge for nothing. Very savvy of them!
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00