04-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #39
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Also the 6 cyl thing is subjective.

I still have the e39 530i which was THE engine you had to have back then: 3.0 - 6inline - 24valve with double vanos. No turbo's, but velvet smooth and in 2002 considered adequate to propel a real sport saloon.

When you wanted an engine with some "grinta", it needed displacement. The fast rise of the turbo changed that. Around 2010 the technology allowed for twin scroll and/or VTG and they also had the heat problem much more under control. So then the main critiques of the turbo were countered and it became ubiquitous, also at BMW. Effect: no more big displacement needed, just a better turbo and you get better efficiency and more torque! This revolution progressively killed the atmosferical 6cyl and pushed the 6cyl higher up the range.

So, yes, a real typical BMW of the past was with the 6 cyl, the BMW of the future will most certainly have not.
I agree with you on the most part. Turbos have changed a lot in the car world.
I used to think the way you said it, the 330i is capable of more than enough speed and preformance for everyday driving. But the hundreds of reviews, comments and videos that I see daily, I am starting to think that it just can't be only becasue of personal opinion that people are praising the 6 cyl engine and looking down on 4 cyls. There is certainly something that is making the six worth the extra price. Most say sound and smoothness, that a 4 wont match the 6 no matter the turbos...
I am still to test out an m340i for myself.
Appreciate 0