Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgoXXI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Thinking about a G20 for next year, having dropped the idea of a G30. Have a test drive of a 330i M Sport Plus lined up. Yet to drive the M340i as test drives are harder to organise, but wondering whether it's worth the extra cash.

With the M Sport Plus package in the UK on the 330i you get the 19" rims, m rear diff and m adaptive suspension as standard, plus the more powerful brakes from the M Sport package, so its decently spec'd.

According to Parkers, the 330i is 200kg lighter than the M340i, only available with xDrive in the UK, which is a fair old weight advantage. List vs list, it's £7k cheaper in my preferred spec and more fuel efficient. It doesn't have the B58 engine, of course, which I'm driving now, but I suspect the weight advantage, coupled with RWD, means that it probably rides/handles better.

The 330i M Sport Plus also looks better externally with the 'high-gloss Shadow Line with extended contents', imo. Better looking wheels and no Cerium trim in sight, which I don't like.

What do you reckon, have I lost the plot?

EDIT: Oh, and the fake exhaust tips on the M340i..
I was about to buy the 330i, decided to test drive it just before placing the order, and immediately changed my mind and waited for the M340i. The 330i is good, but the M340i is something else. If performance is not a priority then the 330i will be fine.
Yes, I'll test drive both but am leaning towards the 330i rather than the M340i
Given the M340i isn't a true M car, the steering, braking and suspension components are the same in both models. With the UK M Sport Plus package on the 330i, you end up with the same base car in terms of 19" mixed rims, m adaptive suspension, m sport brakes, variable sport steering and m rear diff. You can also spec go flat tyres, which is a plus.
So, the M340i has the more powerful six pot, xDrive as standard, +200kg and the tatty Cerium rims and trim.