10-19-2020, 07:48 PM   #3
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
Anyone purchase wheel/tire insurance for their G20?

Setting aside the debate as to whether or not it's worth it (which depends on a great number of factors, including road conditions where you are and wheels/tires you have mounted), I'd like to hear from some folks who have opted for it.

How much did you pay for it? Was that a negotiated price?

And, is the coverage through BMW, or a 3rd party company? If a 3rd party, what company? And what are the terms/deductibles of your coverage?

We talk a lot about negotiating the price of the car, I thought we should also discuss negotiating the price of wheel/tire insurance. So let's hear it; what did you pay? And what did you get?
YMMV but it's it's unlikely to be worth it. You might find an odd story here or there about someone who damaged multiple wheels on every 3 year lease and yes that person probably got paid back but here is how I looked at it.
-would have to destroy 2 rims plus tires to pay back on just one vehicle.
-I have now gone multiple leases without any catastrophic damage to even 1 rim or tire so now I would have to destroy 6+rims plus tires so I have built up ROI to dip into. Yes I got a nail in one run flat and had it repaired good as new
-there is a minimum price for the service and dealers can mark it up over that (I even got the fake phone call treatment with the finance manager calling someone to ask for a lower price after I said no)
-generally taking a longer term POV, over a lifetime of vehicle ownership a customer will come out far ahead skipping this service but like anything there may one one individual lease where that person wishes they had it.
Appreciate 0