c3r2z8f30i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 540ix & 2021 x5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCBavarian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I'm think a lease may be the way to go with this car.

3 year obligation and any problems that may occur will be on them. Additionally, guessing the depreciation on this car will be huge.

Not sure this is the Model 3 competitor we all hoped for.

Curious how or if the rebate will be available on a lease......................................

This car will play out a bit differently than the i3 playbook. That absolutely depreciated like a tank and for good reason. This should do well in comparison, but more along the lines of typical BMW depreciation. Nothing near as good as Tesla. BMW EVs just don't have that type of marketing hype, and likely never will (Elon's fan base plays a huge role in Tesla's lack of depreciation).

I also doubt there will be massive problems for this car at launch year. BMW has taken a different approach to say Tesla (which is safe to say that first owners are usually beta testers). Extensive real world testing for their EVs goes pretty far back and is well tested. I wouldn't say buyers of these cars are Guinea pigs.

We had first year i3 BEV, 3yrs and 30k miles later. It is without a doubt the most problem free BMW I have ever owned. Zero issues. Zero range degradation. EPA range was 72, we frequently achieved 90-95.

Same goes for our X5 45e, so far we have had zero issues. Advertised EPA range of 30 (I think), and we easily achieve 40.

So I believe that we will likely be hitting closer to the 270mi mark for the M50 and the 40e will be 325mi. We shall see. One of the engineers was saying 300miles range for any type of driving.

Ultimately, we actually appreciate the more traditional styling of the i4 next to the more experimental design of the iX (interior and exterior). The large kidneys of the G22 bothered me as a 80's/90's BMW purist when they first came out, but I feel they work well here.

I did look at Tesla Model 3/Y for my wife, but she felt the interior is really inferior to many cars out there today. Minimalistic/Futuristic absolutely. A button to open the door (cool). iPad screen (cool). Hidden Air vents (cool). But when it came down to touch and feel and appearance, they remind me of late 90s economy cars. Plastics, carpets, edges, stitching and quality of lather, trim joints. So ultimately, no matter how many people, magazines or car companies say otherwise, the Model 3 will always be the EV competitor for say the Honda Civic or Mazda 3 (to my wife and I). Without a doubt it absolutely blows them away (for a price).
100% agree
Appreciate 0