01-07-2021, 08:51 PM   #33
Fullthrottlebg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 4 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Unfortunately, it is far from a "drivers car."
It is a very quick car. Straight line, the car punches above it's weight.
However, that's where the performance ends. Even on summer tires, the car simply doesn't perform like a "drivers car."
Here is a quick excerpt: Even with 19-inch Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires (18s with all-seasons are standard), it managed only 0.91 g of skidpad grip, and understeer dominates. We've recorded more stick from the newest 3-series and even some family sedans, although our car did stop from 70 mph in a short 149 feet. or Here is another: There's no doubt that the M440i drives better than it looks. Understand, though, that it isn't a 3 Series coupe. Like the finest GT cars, the M440i is capable but distances its driver from the machinery underneath. It's powerful, poised, and easy to drive fast. Yet there's incredibly little sensation of speed, and the feelings of connection and involvement that true driver's cars offer are all but absent.

Don't think I'm raining on your parade, I'm sure its fun to drive quickly, but "drivers car" it is not. Maybe the lighter 430i will closer to what BMWs of yore were famous for?
By driver's car, I'm of course comparing it to its modern competitors, such as the audi S5, the C43amg and so on and by those standarts, boy this is a drivers car. Yes, comparing it to a much older and more mechanical car like the M2, or the past M3, it does feel bigger, heavier and so on, but that's the case with all new models and the trend is not going to stop or reverse.

Also really doubt those ski pad results. The 4 series felt much grippier than the M340 and to make it understeer you got to try pretty hard.
Appreciate 0