View Single Post
      03-26-2024, 03:08 PM   #14
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Obviously the tyres have been a major factor for you during your period of ownership and I can understand that, I also appreciate what you say about the cost of ownership against how often you use it, but out of curiosity are there any other issues with the car that has soured your ownership experience?
Well the wind deflector broke - I've heard of others with this problem - and I had to shell out over £400 for a new one. It also needed a new front diff which involved numerous visits to the dealer before it got sorted.

But it's mostly the fact I seem to spend more time getting the wheels and steering fixed than actually driving it. I've just been to Sheffield and back (around 200 miles) and it was awful to drive. Constant shaking through the steering wheel, like driving on small cobbles. Shouldn't be wheel balance as they were only done last week so maybe something else is knackered.

It's going in for yet another wheel alignment next week so I'll ask them to check everything else and keep my fingers crossed it isn't anything expensive.

I suspect the fundamental issue is that firm suspension and low profile tyres are not suited to a 4-seater soft-top. Most of my previous verts were either 2 seater or tin-top, whereas this is a large car effectively being driven with no roof the whole time and I think the car just gradually shakes itself to bits. I had similar issues with an E-Class 10 or 12 years ago so I should have learnt the lesson really.
Appreciate 0