10-14-2020, 07:08 AM   #32
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
I thought I would like the X3M but I just can't get into it. It's laggy acceleration off the line, lack of remote start and terrible ride had me looking to get out of it (lease) for the last couple of months.

I had a 330i as a loaner when getting service done and really liked the car. Little underpowered on the highway, but driving around town was a pleasure.

Yesterday I decided to test a M340 and really enjoyed the power delivery and driving dynamics compared to the x3m. The roads here are terrible and the X3M just amplifies everything to the point where it's not enjoyable. The power deliver on the M340 was instant off idle. Its rated quite a bit less, but without the laggy feeling the X3 has, it felt better on the test drive. The power comes on so hard with the X3 it's hard to modulate acceleration off the line.

Things I like:
  • Decent MPG for the power (16-17, my Trackhawk is 12-13)
  • Topend power is awesome
  • Brakes
  • Heads up display & 360 camera

Things I don't like
  • No android auto
  • No remote start
  • Rough ride. Really unpleasant on bad roads.
  • It's a dog from a launch unless you use launch control. Really laggy
  • No remote start
  • Randomly changes radio station on me
  • Handling is weird. Too twitchy
  • Fuel tank is too small for a car that gets 16mpg. Like 225 mile range.
  • Apple carplay works 50% of the time

I like the power of the X3M, but I am sure a tune on the M340 should get pretty close to the same performance of a stock X3M. The driveability around town is more important to me than an extra 100hp on the top end. Most playing around is over by 60-80, well before the X3M really starts to shine.

Based on my test driving I think the M340 should fix the stuff I really dislike about the X3M. I will miss the suv aspect having a dog, but I have other suvs and can rig something up for her in the backseat.

Has anyone compared these 2 cars back to back? Anyone gone from one to the other?
Have you tried driving the x3 M40i with jb4 ? Maybe wait for the refresh and get that
Appreciate 0