11-26-2021, 02:47 AM   #31
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
I belive the frequency of oil changes in the US is more a cultural thing than technical. They're very used to short oil change intervals over there traditionally and they is simply don't find the long service intervals here credible.

Personally I've owned a few new cars of various makes and have just followed the manufacturers schedule without problems and none have called for an early oil change when running in. I suspect if there is metal in the oil the suspended particles are smaller than the gap between metal parts that the oil provides. If it was a real issue surely we'd be seeing things like premature big end / cam / turbo failures but those don't seem to be the issue with modern engines.
I didn’t know that about owners in America but now you’ve made me think about it that makes sense knowing folk over there and also relations that I have in Canada.
As for your second paragraph and your own personal experiences, that pretty much mirrors what I have been doing myself over all my years of new car ownership. From the days when engines weren’t maybe manufactured to the same fine tolerances they are today and oils weren’t as advanced either, I’m talking about the early days of synthetic oils in this regard.
Appreciate 0