View Single Post
      01-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #104
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
How valid is that point if most enthusiasts get aftermarket suspension on their 340i which are either just as or more harsh than the stock M3/4 suspension? Throttle response in comfort mode is equally manageable and pleasant in the M3/4 as it is in the 340i. I commuted with both cars and I didn't find the M3/4 to be any less pleasant or more harsh for a 40 mile commute.

Lets be realistic, it's about price. If the M3/4 were the same price as a 340i, most likely you would choose the M3/4. However, at it is priced now, most who chose a 340i are doing so because the premium is not worth the added performance the M3/4 offers. Rest assured, the relationship in inversely proportional to disposable income. As disposable income goes up, the overall instances of choosing a 340i due to cost goes down. Sure we can "afford" more expensive cars, it just becomes "not worth it" because worth is relative.

Sure it is. Expense is not dictated by the MSRP alone. Selling price vs depreciation is a better indication. The trade-off of performance and a less desirable lease depreciation for the M2 vs the M3/4 makes it hard to justify an M2 unless you really want the size and dynamics of that car. A new 340i or 2018 outgoing M3 can currently be discounted by about $10k. Not so with the M2.

Compared to a similar condition used 340i, it is still more expensive. Then you have to consider maintenance.

This is a huge plus for the M340i and remedies one of the disadvantages that the F30 340i has against the M3/4. However, the M3/4 will always be lighter than the 340i, have better brakes, better cooling, more power, better handing etc. The G80, however, will have XDrive so it will be interesting to see if people are can still use the lack of AWD as an excuse to not get an M3/4. Again, price will be the issue.
I think what rubbed me the wrong way was your original assertion that the M340i is for people who can't "afford" a M car. The monthly lease difference between a M3 and my car would just require me to work an extra 3 hours per month. But I'd rather stick that money into mutual funds. So yes I like your second post better -- the M car doesn't provide me with any extra utility for it to be worthwhile. It caters to a certain segment. And again, a $10-15k price difference doesn't really mean much. I'm debating an outgoing M4 or M340i when my lease is up because the G80 won't be released.

The point about people picking the more premium auto if they were all magically priced the same doesn't need to be said.
Appreciate 0