View Single Post
      01-11-2019, 07:43 PM   #65
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Hopefully the law is changed, if it hasn't been already.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1ML2UW

Adaptive = Adjusts up/down/left/right

Selective Beam = I use the term VLD (Variable Light Distribution), is what does the magic with high/low beams and diverting light / creating light tunnels for vehicles you're following or vehicles that are approaching you. The gov. also refers to them as matrix lighting [specific to certain headlights/manufacturers it seems] or Adaptive Driving Beams (ADB).

RE: Hardware, it depends on the equipment the vehicle has. In the G30 for example, the base is Adaptive LED and the upgrade is Iconic [Adaptive] LED with high beam assist. Since it's the same hardware + camera used where the feature is permitted, it is simply disabled via coding for the US. It can be manually enabled.

Hopefully what the revised law means is a) going forward, we get to enjoy these features, and b) hopefully a simple update from BMW will enable it for models where it was turned off via software.
That announcement or news is a bit "deceptive," especially for those of us pining for adaptive/matrix-type headlights. It merely stated that DOT was "moving to approve" the new headlights, meaning DOT was receptive to "approving" them. The next phase would be 12-18 months of soliciting public feedback/opinion on such lights (not sure how that's possible when no such lights exist in the U.S.), after which the agency makes the final decision.
Appreciate 0