Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBMWBrian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
Do we know for sure that the laser lights will be available in the U.S.? I was under the impression that they weren't DOT approved yet.

Regarding the two LED options, I wouldn't count on coding to turn non adaptive lights into adaptive lights. They've done this in the past, and they were two distinctive parts, one of which did not have all the components necessary for the adaptive functions. So if it's the same here, and by the looks of the different lights it probably is, coding isn't going to do much if anything. Non adaptive housings are much cheaper to produce, and they've not going to waste money putting parts in them that won't ever be used.
They are definitely available in the US market. There were recent developments in DOT regulations allowing further implementation of laser headlights. The G05 X5 and G15 8 Series also have them in the US market, but the lasers are just powered down a little compared to the European market.

On coding, what people are talking about is enabling the selective beam operation, also known as light tunnel. We can have automatic high beams in the US, but the function where the headlights angle themselves side to side to allow the high beams to remain on but pointing around oncoming cars is turned off. For this to be coded in, the headlights have to be adaptive and have auto high beam functionality from the factory.
My 2016 340i. LED adaptive. Anti dazzle was coded. Amazing.
Appreciate 0