View Single Post
      07-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #98
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
TLDR: Flash tunes are detected proactively, piggybacks are detected retroactively - end result is the same.

Piggybacks are 100% detectable after removal - over the last several years the argument to the contrary has been put to rest. I would be highly suspect of anyone that says anything otherwise

Now your dealer won't know the brand or the color of the box but the trace evidence left behind after removal can and will be found out if BMW wants to dig.

Do piggybacks get flagged up front like flash tunes?
No they don't but it doesn't matter...flagging just says proactively that the engine output has been manipulated in some way and DOES NOT void your warranty. Piggybacks on the other had get found out retroactively but the end result is the same. The flagging thing is a non-issue.

That said this is no reason not to go with a piggyback - but someone should not go with a piggyback (any piggyback) based on the fact that they think they are safe from detection.

The "non detectable after removal" was a valid selling point years ago but is not applicable today
Ye that exactly what I was looking for, those cars are so advanced I'm also pretty sure that they keep some kind of logging about how the car parameters and can be retrieved if something really bad happens.
So I guess there is no way to do a engine power tune without void the warranty :/. That makes me kind of sad...
Appreciate 0