08-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Hi all,

So, previously I've always had SUVs and trucks for the snowboarding trips, but this year I find myself with just my M440 (which, at least, is still AWD).

Given that I've got the summer / performance Pilot Sport 4S on at the moment, I figure if I want to do any Tahoe trips this upcoming season I should get some dedicated winter tires as the owner's manual specifically states not to use chains, nets, socks, etc of any kind (plus, a dedicated set works better than those anyway I think. Could be wrong.)

So.

1. I want some wheels that'll look good, but not break the bank - they're likely going to get beat up pretty good with salt on the roads and dirt / rocks / lots of potholes etc.

2. Note that this will not be dedicated SNOW driving - I live in California, not Sweden. I'm going to be driving from sunny + 70 degree weather up the mountain into snow and 20-30 degree weather, do some snowboarding, and come back down. So no need for studded tires.

3. I'd say 90% of the time I go up, the roads are plowed or previously plowed and only have a thin layer - very rarely (though it did happen several times) do I have to go through chain control where it's dumping, the plows haven't come through or something, and there's a thick layer on the ground where only lifted trucks / SUVs with M/S mountain snowflake rated tires are allowed through.

4. I will likely only log like 2,500-3,000 miles per season on these (it's about 450 miles round trip, and I average 6-8 trips on a good season though I only went up once last year due to covid). So a bit of durability would be nice. They'll be taken off and stored in a garage in the off season.

What're your recommendations to look at for wheels + tires? I had Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the infamous TA KO2s previously, but they don't make those for cars like this (though they performed very well in thick snow). It looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons are M+S rated, but doesn't have the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Given that the manual says don't use chains, I'd like something that will get me through chain control if they stop me, let alone the overall control.
If there is even the slightest chance of having any measurable snow, do not go with an AS. Up at Tahoe i'd go dedicated winter only for piece of mind. And, I only run UHP AS Michelins, but I don't encounter much snow.

Michelin AS3+ on my quattro audi S4 practically gave me a heart attack last winter in 3 inches of snow, sleet and ice.
Appreciate 0