kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Ironically, now that DTM has pivoted to turbocharged four cylinder engines, it is perhaps the perfect time to capitalize with a P48-based PHEV.

Sure, the Vision M NEXT (sans the paint-by-number motif) is at least a step in the right direction toward an electrified flagship that has some excitement. But even with 600hp, it feels like it would be something of an also-ran by the time it reaches the market. If they start with a slightly toned-down P48 for the combustion side they can take it a step further yet. And while I understand they were trying to echo the M1 with the exterior direction, I think that something more a long the lines of the 3.0 CSL Hommage (particularly the R version) would provide a better link to the homologated racing BMWs of the past.
I totally agree with the P48 but I think it terms of philosophy of "convergence" of present and future, inline 6 would have made perfect sense to both enthusiasts and newcomers who primarily know BMW as "silky six". I for what would have been greatly impressed.