Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2M View Post
Whats up with the bmw chassis codes? Like in the beginning there were so many cars named under the E chassis, then there was only one F car in each series and BMW is going to G already? I thought they'd do something like : F12 F28 F34 F39 F60 for the 5's. Instead there was only 1 F chassis for the 5 series - F10. Now the G's are out and the M5 is an F90. Back in the day the M5 would have been G30 M. Am I the only one confused with these chassis codes?
What difference does it make now?... There was never a pattern or logic to the codes at any point in the past, and there still isn't... The F30 and E30 is only example I can think of where a model got the same numbers as a previous generation... so now, just like the past, you'll simply have to remember each of them... it's not confusing, it just becomes a bigger task to remember them all since with each generation there are additional models as well as replacement models.
Doesn't make any difference, nothing really makes sense with BMW, numbers don't much engine liters anymore, and the even numbers -2,4,6 were supposed to be coupes only but now theres 4 and 6 sedans (gran coupes) , but my point was that they just wasted the F chassis code by already moving to the G so soon lol