View Single Post
      02-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #83
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

We test drove a 330i with the base suspension and a M340i with the fixed sport suspension this weekend. Both had runflat tires.

For comparison, my wife currently has a 2012 328i with fixed sport suspension and runflat tires. I have an M240i vert with adaptive and non-runflats.

The 330i base suspension was surprisingly competent. In comparison, when we bought the 2012, we found the base suspension to be sort of floaty. The m340i was clearly stiffer, and the extra weight of the car seemed to need it.

The surface streets, and even freeways to some degree, around here can be punishing. We have a lot of ground shifting (old river flood plane clay) which quickly puts dips into brand-new roads. And it seems like they build new road surfaces for big SUVs, not sports cars. The 2012 fixed sport suspension can be punishing on them. I think the m340i fixed suspension is a bit more controlled, but still could be unpleasant when you're not in the mood to play.

I thought my m240i vert adaptive suspension was adaptive in all modes. It's definitely less floaty in comfort than the 2012 328 base suspension, and it's less jittery in sport than the 2012 fixed sport. It doesn't have a separate "adaptive" mode. Of course, comparing those two cars is apples vs oranges.
Appreciate 0