View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 04:33 AM   #87
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
I wrote the post about switching between "fixed" modes.

So you're saying that the comfort/sport/sport+ modes are always active (i.e. continuously monitoring the sensors and making adjustments) but are just tuned to completely different profiles?

It seems that the adaptive mode has the ability to switch between the comfort/sport/sport+ profiles depending on how the car is being driven and on route information from the navigation system.
If we have a VDC suspension system in our BMW, it is active all the time. The modes simply change the damping characteristic map.

For example, in my F11 there are three damping maps. One for Comfort, one for Normal and one covering Sport and Sport+. I also have the active roll control. That has two maps, one covers Comfort and Normal modes. The other (stiffer map) covers Sport and Sport+ modes.

Models with the 'new' Adaptive Mode, have additional features which can (amongst other adaptions), widen (or overlap) the characteristic damper mapping. Can include the sport mapping when necessary, according to driving situation and demand, (predictive SatNav data, etc.), then revert back to the comfort mapping.
Appreciate 1