09-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #28
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I saw this and thought there was some notable improvement.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesl...y-2019-10?op=1

I too like the addition of physical buttons for simple car functions. A big reason why the i4 appeals to me. I hope BMW integrates OTA updates with the i4 when it becomes available.

I tend to like smaller cars. Something in the 175 inch length or less. Seems like most of the EV's are larger. My main around town car is a 2019 Mini S. Does everything I need it to do. Mini offers a EV, but it has minimal range. I'm hoping to see a LR compact "something" become available in the near future. So far the only manufacturer that has hinted at a compact is Tesla.

As an aside, I find it very difficult to find any information that is completely truthful and unbiased. This seems to apply to all media sources IMO. Pundits and journalists bring whatever biases they have to their reports and stories and slant their articles to support their personal views (sadly, this isn't by accident). A shame since it makes a person wanting the real story on anything harder and harder to get.

We certainly live in interesting times (for better or worse).................
Don't get me wrong, the cars are awesome. They are just nowhere near the quality of anything half the price. People tend to tie the tech to quality, not sure why. Yes, the cars have quality tech, no they are not built well and shake themselves loose all the time.

Totally agree with you. It's hard to find honest and none biased reviews, especially with Tesla's. It's the mentality the company wanted from the start - your either with them or against them, theirs no in the middle.

The MINI is an awesome car, especially after BMW took over and started making engines for them in the most recent generations. The EV Mini is a disappointment as it's practically an i3. I wish BMW did a better job and knocked it out of the park with the EV MINI as I think it would have killed.

As for the OTA, I'm positive it will be standard. Even the current G series cars receive OTA updates. Physical buttons do limit what can be updated, but that's ok with me. I don't need my AC controls changed or back seat heaters unlocked(Not a deal-breaker for me). Food for thought, think about this. The hardware for feature updates is already physically in the car. Tesla just unlocks it. Most of the feature-packed OTA's are, IMO, a gimmick, unless they improve drivability due to an error made in the code. Thus I think, BMW will, without a doubt, will implement OTA's, especially for battery, drive units, and BMS functions.
Appreciate 0