View Single Post
      08-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #27
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I think more likely is $60k base, $70k with a few "go-fast" options. In world of 10 year car financing and $80,000 Ford F150's, that's not such a crazy price point anymore. I think $50k for a base base car might be doable after incentives. I think it will lease at a rate comparable to the M340i.
I don't know for sure, however the $50K starting price has been bantered around by the car mags based upon what BMW has told them. If the car comes out $10K higher for a base model and another $10K for a nicely equipped example, that won't bode will for BMW or their marketing team.

Since BMW has not come forward to correct any of the Car magazines ($50K starting price stories), I'll wager we will see the i4 come out at or near the $50K price (using the 4 series "build yours" as a template) with the usual "Convenience Package","Executive Package" and "Performance Package" upgrades, with a few of the stand alone add-ons like HK radio, wheels, paint, interior leather and a few others. Estimate (based on the 4 series car configuator) @ $55-$56K for a well loaded example.

All this before any incentives (cannot imagine BMW would let that $50K price point estimate exist assuming a $7500 government incentive to get down to that price). It would be like a retailer advertising a product's price point based on a "Black Friday" sales.

A $70K loaded i4 would be a marketing nightmare for them IMO. It would (IMO) push more people to look to the Model 3 and Polestar and Mach E as alternatives. I know I'd be looking elsewhere.

History has shown manufacturers that produce a car that undercuts an estimated / projected sales price, really gain a huge market share. The C8 (which GM never divulged a starting price) became a sensation when announced as a sub $60K starting price. Forums were abuzz with members estimating high $70K to $80-$90K and as high a $150K before the car was released. No one could imagine a brand new mid-engine well optioned sports car being available for $59K.

If on the other hand, BMW debuts the i4 at @ the $49K-50K price point and a loaded example @ $55k, they could really capture a big market segment compared to the competition.

As an aside, It is rather unfortunate that BMW chose to go with the oversized grille on the i4. While not a consideration for me (I kinda like it), it is polarizing to many and could push some to look elsewhere for an EV.

I think BMW is betting that once the i4 hits the showrooms, people will be so impressed with the fit, finish, exterior and interior design, appointments and range, that the grille won't significantly affect sales. As a potential buyer, I hope they are correct.

Just my perspective and some reasoned ruminating.
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4651.00
VetteGuy845.50