04-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #26
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Congrats on the new car and a great story as well, I love that you keep the ZHP knob in the glove box.

My E46 wasn't my first BMW, but similar to your G20 it was the first I had bought new and spec'd to my liking and had stayed with me the longest (14 years and 200k+ miles), and the one I loved the most, and have the most memories with, even taught both of my sons how to drive stick with it. Sadly I lost it to the dreaded cooling system and failed head gaskets 2 years ago, and I still miss it everyday. My wife currently still drives a manual in the M2 after having an auto E90 335 for 8 years, and I think I might make my way back to a manual again in the future before they die out eventually as I do miss it, even with these amazing auto transmissions.
Thanks! This thread reminded me just how much of a hole Heidi's passing left, but it also made me a stronger driver and much more appreciative of those crucial moments. It seems silly to most to miss a car like a lost pet... but we are not most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
Congrats man!

Would you mind posting a pic of the trunk with spare in it?

GL and enjoy the next driving chapter!
Thanks and certainly, here you go! You can really see how much it raises when you put the seats down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Absolutely fantastically written. Enjoy in good health. Thank you for taking the time to give us an in-depth deep dive.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by javaperson View Post
Thanks for the write-up and congrats on the new car!
It was a nice read while. I recently had to part with my e90 as well. I liked the tight handling and steering feel of the car, but I had to part ways with it. I got a F36 gran coupe instead of the G20, but it is great to hear that the G20 still has good handling. Cheers!
Thanks! I was strongly considering that at one point but got scared that the frameless windows would freeze me out in the winter! Gorgeous car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i View Post
Excellent, well-written write up! I'm considering an M340i once the lease on my 2018 Accord Sport ends. My weekend car is an E46 M3 and I'm considering, among others, an E90 M3 (DCT for the wife), F80 M3 (DCT) or the M340i.

I look forward to hearing/reading more about your experiences. Keep up the good work and congrats on the new car. She's a beaut!
Thanks! E46 M3 6MT is on the shortlist for a second car when my wife lets me have one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i128 View Post
Congrats on the new ride!

I had a similar path but haven't quite come to terms of relieving my left leg of it's driving duties just yet...
Totally understand, and thanks! Good luck keeping the faith!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Going from silver to black.... oh you poor soul. I had a black car once. Never again.
Ha ha ha! I'm looking forward to my weekend waxing ritual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Nice write up! You definitely chose the right 3 series for your upgrade. My M340i xDrive is primarily for the wife but I've been driving it to work (hospital) during the quarantine and have come to learn how massively impressive this car is. It's not perfect but it is quite a joy to drive. And the POWER. It's stupid fast really.

I came out of an E92 M3 and here is my write up from that overlap.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1651973

Currently our SQ5 is my primary driver but lease ending soon and looking to pick up an X3M.

Enjoy the new ride!
Thanks! And thanks especially for your service during these troubled times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Legend View Post
I like how you keep the shift knob. I'm on my third E90 from 335i to E90 M3 and I can't see myself out of the BMW E series chasis. But your 340i looks damn good enjoy it!! I also look forward to owning a new bmw one day.
It seemed the best way to never forget the philosophies I learned. Thanks and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
I cried
I know, I did too
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25172.00
Mavus2038.50