01-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
dmatre
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
I live in Charlotte, and love it. I can't speak much for the "night-life/city" aspect of it as I don't get out often and prefer to keep to myself, but its a growing city with TONS of opportunities. Even the surrounding cities have lots of jobs: Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Concord, Fort Mill, Indian Trail, etc. Cost of living isn't too high (although I have nothing to really compare it to since it's the only place I've lived) and given it's size, congestion/traffic isn't usually too bad either. Winter is mostly high 20s to low 40s with MAYBE 1 or 2 light snows, summers are 90+ easily.

Best part about working in Charlotte, is there are tons of places to live outside of the city where you can be secluded. It will mean more of a drive to work, but definitely not impossible or bad. There's tons of stuff to do, great food, and overall it's a pretty good city. Plus it's a good spot for driving, if you want to hit the Breweries in Asheville, its 2 hours; want to go to Little Switz, it's 2.5 hours; Atlanta is 4 hours, TN mountains are 3.5 hours; beaches are 2-3.5 hours; Tail of the Dragon is 4 hours...

Hell, I live in S Charlotte (Steele Creek area), and drive up to Huntersville for work. 25 miles one way, less than 30 minutes. My previous job was 5 minutes from my apartment, and my other job up in Concord (complete opposite side of the city) was 40 minutes.

Another thing I like is the amount of car stuff to do. Zmax does Test and Tune over the summer, $20 for unlimited runs, Carolina Motorsports Park does a ton of track days, there is NC-Car that does track days too, there's GoPro Motorplex for some fast outdoor karting, or K1 Speed for fast indoor karting, SCCA does TONS of AutoX events at Zmax all throughout the year, the Cars & Coffee is pretty good. I could go on and on. Also, Charlotte metro area is called "Race City" since almost every NASCAR team is based out of CLT or the surrounding cities, and the drivers are often at events, especially at GoPro. It's just a cool place, and I don't plan on leaving unless I move to Europe or something crazy.
We've probable run across each other out at Z-Max. I'm driving a red '90 CSP Miata. From your references, you're likely in the same scene.
Appreciate 1
Conissah1574.50