View Single Post
      08-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #90
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
I disagree; Hamilton had a spin and stayed right on the track, which is pretty narrow (not saying he did it on purpose). Then with complete disregard to the fact that there are other cars coming at very high speeds, he proceeded to sort himself out right there and then. He knew they were there behind him, or at least how close they were. Di Resta even went off track to avoid him, and he wasn't a backmarker. No one was expecting Hamilton to NOT wait, which is what everyone does all the time when they end up facing the wrong way...
He was in the middle of the track facing the wrong way, you can't expect him to just sit there like a sitting duck ON the racing line. Not only would that be equally hazardous, he would have ended up in about the same place he did after his drive through. If he had just driven off the track, he would have ran a risk of even getting a DNF because of how wet the area was.

Sorry, but these are racing drivers. They are in it to win and F1 has a long history if you need a reminder on to what extent these drivers will go to win. (Including ramming other cars off the track) I'd say this was pretty miniscule.

Also, I see the situation as Hamilton took the right action at the right time to get out of a incredibly dangerous situation relatively cleanly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisemyrent View Post
mm all fires are different, and there aren't that many. so chances are things could blow up if you let them burn for long enough... just a theory. one thing they MIGHT comment on is the fact that they kept going even though things were obviously going very badly (even heidfeld said he was hoping the wind would put it out). hard to say, it happens very fast.
I don't think the issue of the fire was as big of a concern as the explosion that followed. I imagine the explosion may have been from the radiator in the sidepod, which could be seen as a potential design issue since they have their exhaust running just below their engine radiators.

I don't think the FIA will force a change, it was just speculation after all. But I wouldn't be surprised if something did come out of it though.

Last edited by UltimateBMW; 08-01-2011 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0