01-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
I've read that automakers use recycled plastic in cars. Does BMW? If so, where is the plastic sourced from, and does it affect quality?
Yes they use recycled plastics, as a manufacturer with plants all over the world with thousands of total suppliers I doubt even BMW knows the source of all of the plastic. They require suppliers to meet design and manufacturing criteria to continue to buy parts from them. Everything BMW and their suppliers to do affects quality, the amount of recycled plastic is one input but if it, like everything else, is checked and controlled it is a good thing overall to use it. Same with the recycled metal in the car, it also has to be checked and controlled. With much of the plastic in the car the finish of the material doesn't matter much. Look at your plastic fender liners or the plastic panels under the car and you will see the finish is far from perfect as it isn't critical for the part to function as designed.

From your question I think you are trying to oversimplify it.