Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Last week, I had the opportunity to have a proper road trip over the mountains in Norway, and I thought it'd be interesting to share my experience for those who are considering the 330e as their next ride, or for those who haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

The crew:

I travelled together with my wife and my kid, plus a friend and his kid. This means the car was totally packed full of people and the trunk full of things and bags (which makes me want even more the 330e Touring, but that's gonna have to wait).

Anyway, the bottom-line is the car was packed full and heavy.

The specs that matter:

Adaptive M suspension: Running on 18's run-flats and the ride was superb. The car was very quite (check the video below, which was filmed at about 80Kms/H) and very comfortable for all passengers. The car absorbs bumps and holes very well, and it's just super comfortable.

Adaptive Drive: The car did a great job at switching between battery and gasoline based on the road, speed limits and so on. Just great.

Adaptive Laser Headlights: A must-have for everyone driving in dark areas where animals can become a hazard. The mountains I was driving on where full of sheep, cows, reindeer, and moose, so laser lights are absolutely a security feature above all.

Here there's a video I captured of the adaptive laser headlights highlighting it's superior and magnificent lightning capabilities. Pay attention at around 1:13, where one can see that the car is illuminating a truck that is way ahead, beyond a curve, parked by the road.

The efficiency

This is what surprised me the most. I charge the batteries every day, and I'm used to driving in electric mode and seeing the car deliver between 40-50 Kms of range when driving in pure electric (summer).

The question is, and what happens when the battery is depleted?

Well, in this trip I learned that what happens is that the car will freaking magically recharge from nothing and everything, and it'll deliver km after km of pure electric driving. More specifically, after starting with 0Kms of battery on the dashboard, and after having driven more than 500 Kms, more than a 180 of those were driven in pure electric mode, for a reported consumption of 17.5Kms/l.

Some of the magic comes from quite a lot of downhill driving (at some point, after a long drive down along Trollstigen, I was at almost 50% battery, even though I started the trip at 0%) . However, there was a lot of uphill as well; and remember, I was driving a fully packed car.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of that (sorry!), but I can assure you that was what I saw reported by iDrive. I was totally in awe.

Here you can see a few pics from the trip, including a panoramic view over Geiranger fjord and a close encounter with an M3 on the ferry

UPDATE:

Added some efficiency numbers from a different trip. 900Kms roundtrip. The values in the screenshots correspond to starting the trips with a full battery, and using Dynamic mode all the way. The trip included driving up a mountain, reaching 1250 meters over sea level, and lots of 40-80Km/H zones. On the way back, I also used Sport Mode in some short areas, mostly for overtaking other cars.
Attached Images

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).

Last edited by eddiehaug; 06-03-2021 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Added new info on efficiency
Appreciate 19
Slideit49.00
A6bullet336.00
bcoz80.50
JustChris17426.00
oz555671.00
DeeKay553.00
clee1982796.00
330dMSXD103.00
Llarry14494.00
EXE462097.00
Lauren8183.50