View Single Post
      12-11-2021, 01:38 PM   #42
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
If someone asks that type of question they are not very conversant in BMW terminology, and probably not really a BMW fan. Most of the time they are just trying to jerk your chain.

- The BMW M series has been around for quite a while, and the M designation is clear because there is only one digit after the M in the model name.

- Several years ago BMW created the M Sport trim package, which was primarily a dress-up package with an aero kit, unique badging, etc. There was usually no engine difference, but most models did have the option for some unique equipment (sport brakes, sport steering wheel, etc.)

- M Performance is a relatively recent designation and it falls in between full M and the M Sport. M Performance models usually have trim that is similar to the M Sport option (aero kits, logos, etc.), but in addition they have a higher performance engine and other performance features (M sport differential, Sport+ settings, etc.). It is not at the same level as the M engines, but it is a significant step up in horsepower from the lesser models.

For example, the current M3 can achieve a 0-60 of about 3.5 seconds; however, the M340i is in the range of 3.8-4.2 seconds, depending on who tests it. A 330i with M Sport option would probably be in the 5.4 second range.
If you want to compare apples to apples, M3 Comp xDrive is 0-60 in 3.1…..vs…..m340i xDrive in 4.0. And, if you want to include the 1 ft rollout as the auto magazines do….it's 2.9 vs 3.8. That's a pretty significant difference. And, the gap becomes even more pronounced in a rolling or quarter mile race where higher speeds are involved.

But beyond the significant power difference, as so many on here have mentioned….is the fact that the M3 feels completely different in almost every facet….steering, suspension, brakes, etc, etc. The M3 appeals to all the senses when you're riding in one…..it's hard to describe and somewhat intangible, but it just feels and sounds much different. I have ridden recently in both an m340i xDrive as well as a new G80 M3 and I can tell you there's a significant difference. It feels like something special. I am in the camp that truly feels the m340i is closer to a 330i than an M3.
Appreciate 1