View Single Post
      05-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
Exactly as the title states. I’m not sure why everyone seems to love these tires. I never had the misfortune of having to drive on them until I bought my 340X. Broke loose constantly and seemed to behave as though the car was a pair of roller skates on an ice rink. Terrible. Then I wound up with a screw in one of the rear tires. I seized the opportunity to have them replaced with PSS (only in the rear because they no longer make a 225 for the front). I don’t know what’s more irritating, the fact the BMW chose a skinny ass wheel for the front or that Michelin had the audacity to replace a good thing with garbage. Anywho… I get my beloved PSS tires installed on the rear only because that was the problem area. Now it barely allows for any skidding on the pavement and I can get into the corners much more aggressively than I could before. The rear also tracks better and distinctly illustrates the weakness of the front tires. By looking at the specs and the tires, you’d think they’d be an upgrade. I believe the totally changed their formula to cater to a quieter ride and to be more climate friendly.

Unfortunately, it looks like I’m shit out of luck because I can’t find my front tires anywhere in the states so I’m going to have to swap out and go with a square 8.5” setup so I can toss 255s on the front because at least they’re still making those for the time being. After that I suppose I’ll have to go dumpster diving.

I’m kind of curious if anyone else has had the same or similar experience and if you’d like to share it. I really thought I was losing my mind. Sucks it wasn’t true. /EndRant
I just ran a track day on the PS4S, no real issues at 40-60 degree weather, and initially a wet track. To start the day out it was just too cold (summer tires, so of course) - so it was sliding around had no real rear grip.

As it warmed up, the PS4S did fine for the square setup I have (8.0 squared, 225's). The 225's just don't have enough grip to corner as hard as I would like without fighting the steering - but I'm more than confident a 235-245 would resolve the issue, if not 8.5 @ 245-255. That said, I used to run this same track with MPSS - they were good only for 1-2 hot laptops once they were hot, then they went fro no grip, to great grip, to somewhat greasy. That said, the PS4S went from little grip to great grip and stayed that way.

My experience and overall improvement in ride quality/comfort, because I do daily drive mine, it's more than a fair enough trade off for the tire. If you're driving your car around hard enough to cause it to slide around everywhere on the PS4S, respectfully, it sounds like you have either a driving style issue, or your expectations aren't in line with what the tire is intended to do? Are you driving in Sport+ with stability control off all the time? Even with the all seasons I had on prior to the PS4S I did not have any issues with sliding around. You have to really be driving hard to get the car to slide around as much as you're saying - or tire dressing the whole wheel lol.

Your experience isn't the norm, but I mean I couldn't autocross on MPSS because they really just sucked at that kind of movement on a short course, and on track they really only shined briefly. The PS4S seems to have closed that gap significantly and gives a better ride, which again was a welcome change for me. The next step up as mentioned is the Cup 2's, just be prepared for a harsher ride and overall a less long-term tread wear tire. $$$ good luck!
Appreciate 1
j080808129.00