05-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #16
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio Luv View Post
Just an article I was reading recently. May be of interest to some on here...

https://tflcar.com/2020/09/michelin-...rt-review/amp/
Read the article right after you posted it. Just forgot to put a nail in the coffin.

Quote from the author, "Applying the 80/20 rule

How often will a driver demand this much from a tire under street conditions? Maybe one percent during the life of the tire. Five percent if you’re one of the fortunate few to have a challenging and exciting route near your home. Otherwise, that extra shot in ride quality and comfort is appreciated a lot more than a smidgen less grip at the limit."

I despise the statement above. Let's look at it from a different perspective but apply the same logic. Let's say I'm a cop. I have a firearm which may never be used while on duty. Say, 0.00000009% of the time. But in that small fraction of time, it MUST work 100%. Otherwise, I'm staking my life on something that I guess I just don't need for that small fraction of time? Makes no sense whatsoever. The author is dead wrong in this case. Tires are lifesavers. A contact patch of only a few square inches on each tire, I better get exactly the performance I need, including complete road feel. Because road feel is the only thing that can tell you when you are pushing tires to the limits. Sacrificing road feel does NOT increase performance. It decreases performance and for any driver that actually hits those limits (whether it is 1% or 5% of the time (as assumed by the author) is truly missing out and may even reduce overall vehicle performance artificially and unnecessarily.

Another issue I have with the article is that he tries to say the PS4S beat out the PSS because he achieved a couple of tenths better lap time. I'm sorry but if the gap is smaller than 3/4 second, there's absolutely no way to determine that with any certainty. No driver can 100% reproduce a lap with all other things being equal. Mentioning it means he's trying very hard to sell it.

I also noted a couple of other "pros" the author cited. One in particular is the "patented velvet sidewall finish." Who gives a shit? Right at that point is where I lost faith that this was a review of tire performance.

Not trying to bash just to be in the right or stay in my little fantasy. But his logic sucked. Still open to the possibility. But I'm not convinced.

Last edited by rostrata; 05-24-2021 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0