05-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm1z View Post
I definitely agree with your assessment.

Without disclosing too much financial info, the only additional out of pocket I would need to assess would be the daily once the Civic lease is up. This can be anywhere from $200-300 a mo. plus insurance.

The GT350 can be driven to work when desired. Looking at only driving the car on weekends, I would be driving it roughly 25% of the time. 52 weeks x 2 days (Sat/Sun - I won't include Friday evenings for the sake of simplicity) = 104 days a year / 365 is about 28%.

I would like to add that for me, it's not necessarily the money that has me questioning this decision. I respect the car as it's an amazing machine, but it's still has the Mustang "stigma." - "cheap interior", "it's a Ford", etc. While I know I should buy the car for the car, this is something I might need to get over. I personally think the build quality is fine, especially for a 2nd vehicle. Also, I don't believe there are a lot of other cars you can own in this price range that deliver the performance and exhilaration. That is why this car "called" to me. The fact that we still have the Lexus to drive when we head out to a nice dinner, etc, also provides some comfort coming from BMW quality.
I would buy the GT350 and don't care about "stigma", "it's a Ford" or the rest of it, or what other people think. Great performance for the money, high rpm special engine, not a modded standard GT, it's a great car. I will be interested in seeing how many they build, how long they build them and what the values do. Currently Boss 302's go for mid $30k's with less than 30k miles so at some point I might be interested in a used GT350.

I found that the idea of 28% of the time being the weekend worked out on paper but reality is I don't drive 28% of the miles on the weekend and there ended up being so many places and times that I needed a bigger car, I go with my wife in her car, other people, etc. that the 28% drops to a much lower percentage. At 28% GT350 and 72% Civic I would still prefer to up the daily and drop the weekend value as I don't want to daily drive a Civic most of the time when I have $70-$80k worth of cars for me personally.

My ATS and Z4M together were $65k (I think 4 years ago?) and I for me this allowed me to drive something fun all the time. Then the Z4M hasn't lost much value so depreciation is only hitting the ATS.

I never look at "out of pocket" as meaning much, instead what does it really cost me overall. I also don't lease or finance so getting an expensive car requires writing a big check which keeps me from doing it. No matter how you slice it the GT 350 or M3 are expensive cars and a relatively cheap monthly doesn't matter to me (I fully understand cheap finance rates and the value of money but prefer to not do it for reasons it keeps me from buying expensive cars I don't need.).