View Single Post
      08-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #21
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorBimmer View Post
I have a 2020 330ix M-Sport (I've had it since new) that developed this issue 2-3months ago. The shop foreman reproduced the issue in the car with me and agrees it's an issue - a case will be made with BMW Canada to try and get it resolved.

They predict that they'll need the car for a while, so I need to wait for when a loaner car is available. Tentatively scheduled for mid-August.

Steering Issue Symptoms
The steering wheel develops a looseness on-center, about 5 degrees left and right where I can wiggle it at any speed (even when the car is at a standstill) where the front wheels do not turn. When steering past the looseness, the steering suddenly firms up, as if hitting a notch where the car will suddenly respond to the steering input.

It's very annoying, and has occasionally caught me off guard, so at worst it's a minor safety issue.

How to reproduce
The issue only starts happening once my car is FULLY warmed up. Usually takes about 20min of highway driving. Happens more readily when the weather is hot.

What I know so far
Last year, fall of 2022, I received an OTA software update. I noticed that the update changed the steering feel, where it became heavier and I needed significantly less steering micro-adjustments on the highway to keep going straight. It was a good update.

Could the steering issue possibly be software-related? This is something the dealership will explore.
This almost exactly describes my issue. They updated the software late last year but it didn't help. I did a ride-along with the shop foreman at my local dealer after the new tie rods didn't work and while we didn't duplicate the notch on that particular ride it made another steering noise so he's going to attempt replacing the rack when the car goes in next week.
Appreciate 0